Friday, October 12, 2012

Chicken Chimichangas mmm

Yes, I already know, fried foods are bad for you. Well I don't make them that often and this is a long time favorite in my house. I usually just make it with shredded chicken or beef and some red enchilada sauce but I recently came upon a recipe where they put all of the good toppings and sides (black olives, rice, re-fried beans etc) on the inside so I thought why not give it a try. Here's how it goes.

You will need..

3- chicken thighs (or breasts)
1 small onion
1- small can of red enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cup of chicken broth
s&p
dried cumin (optional)
dried cayenne pepper (optional)
1- cup of rice (I used brown)
1- can of re-fried beans
1- can of green chilies (7oz)
1- can of sliced black olives (2.25oz)
1/2 cup of cheese (I used Mexican fiesta blend)
8 burrito sized flour tortillas
Oil for frying

This makes 8 Chimichangas

I started by putting my chicken thighs and diced onion into the crockpot with some salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin. I pour over that my chicken broth and red enchilada sauce. Leave that in the crockpot for 4-5 hours on low 2-3 on high. While that's in its last stages of cooking I cook the rice as well as heat the re-fried beans. While those are cooking shred the chicken and put that along with the onions from the crockpot into a large bowl. Into that bowl add the rice, re-fried beans, green chilies, black olives and cheese.






Once everything is mixed well heat your oil to a medium heat. While your oil is heating start assembling your chimichangas.





If your oil gets hot enough to fry while you're assembling your food go ahead and throw them in there one at a time if you have a big enough pan. You don't want to over crowd them or it will bring the oil down in heat and take longer to cook.






Fry them until they are golden brown on each side. Once they've browned nicely lay them on a plate covered with some paper towels or napkins so it catches the excess oil.





Once they have cooled a little and don't have hot oil dripping from them you can top them with sour cream or guacamole whatever you feel like. They are soo yummy and crispy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment